Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Trip to NEW YORK CITY!

Warning: Long story post ahead :) So i wasn't going to blog about this because i figured everybody had already heard about it, but when my dad sent me a picture of this service station i had to blog about it :)
It all started with a drive to visit my long lost aunt in Maryland. I'd never driven through New York City before and let me tell you---that was an experience! Just imagine, i'm stuck in traffic....if i'm not stopped then i'm going 3 miles per hour max. This has been going on for quite sometime, close to an hour and i'm just looking about like a fish out of water taking pictures of the road etc. The lanes seemed so small and a cop car actually drove down between two lanes with its lights flashing, just like in the movies :). Anyway, i'd been seeing signs that say Manhattan, and the Bronx when all of a sudden i start smelling something, i was all looking around wondering which car stunk so bad when i looked ahead of me and realized that smoke or steam (i wasn't sure which) was erupting from underneath my hood! I was in the middle lane and there really was no shoulder, i didn't know if i was on fire or what. Needless to say, I started freaking out, i didn't know what to do! I rolled down my window and tried to mouth to the guy next to me, "my car's smoking" he was kind enough to roll down his window and say "ya, it looks like your boiling over". I asked him what i should do and he said "PULL OVER!" Oh, okay, hadn't thought of that (JK) so i asked him if i could cut over in front of him, he said sure so moved to the half shoulder and turned off my car. He drove away (so helpful). I figured i should probably check under the hood but i was actually terrified to look, i didn't know if flames would come flying out so i just sat there, I knew John was out knocking doors and mostly likely in a house and wouldn't answer his phone but i tried calling anyway. I guess he figured i really needed to talk to him so after a few minutes he called me back. He tried to calm me down, and told me to go look under the hood. I did, i braved it and with his help we decided it was the antifreeze and my car was overheating. Well, John told me to just try to relax, let the car cool off and he was going to figure out what to do. I sat in my car...crying....and tried to read a book. John mentioned calling my Dad to see if he could somehow see where i was located and find me a service station, that thought just scared me even more, i knew where i was, i had seen movies and i knew that i NEVER wanted to drive the streets of NEW YORK CITY! Even if it was just to find a service station. Well after i thought i had my emotions under control, i called my dad, my lifesaver! He was so helpful and looked up exactly where i was and the nearest service station. I had actually just passed an exit by like 30 feet and the next one was a few mile away so i ended up backing up on the freeway, asking cars to get out of my way, so i could exit at that spot....well, i got off the freeway and somehow made it safely til my car overheated again. I pulled off in an illegal parking spot and filled the antifreeze with both water bottles i had in the car with me---in the heart of the Bronx! My dad was so so so good and stayed on the phone with me the whole time and lead me to the nearest service station. With the help of a cop, i got there just fine with only breaking minor traffic laws (i don't know how to drive in that craziness! I'm pretty sure the laws are different in New York City). The service station guy was so nice and helpful and fixed everything, i guess my fan quit working which is why i was overheating and he filled me up with antifreeze, he told me how to get back on the freeway heading toward Maryland and i was on my way! Anyway, honestly it was a miracle that i survived, my dad was a lifesaver, the cop was a lifesaver and the service stayed open past normal closing time just to help me out. It worked out and for that i was so so so grateful! All i can say after trip is that i NEVER am going to drive through New York City again. The 5 hour trip took 8 hours there with my 2 hourish hold-up and the trip home took 8 hours as well with the stupid Traffic! Boy was i glad when i made it.
Anyway, i think this is a great time to say HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to my dad. Its times like these that i realize how lucky i am. I have the greatest father in the world that would drop everything he was doing to do absolutely ANYTHING for ANYONE. I'm so grateful for him and for all that he has taught me by his example. I love you dad!

6 comments:

Angie and Kyle said...

Elise, that is so scary! I am so glad that you were able to talk to your dad and get your car fixed :)

Natalie said...

It's interesting to get all the details! Haha, I can just see you pregnant and teary-eyed asking people to move out of your way so you could BACK UP on the FREEWAY in NEW YORK! Crazy girl! :) Sorry you had some bad luck, but glad you made it! Hey, and what pictures did you take of the trip down?

Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing. The event needs to be remembered. There were miracles along the way and angels watching over you. I don't think I could ever let you out of my sight if I didn't believe that. You are passed the half way poin and will be back before you know it. I guess Logan traffic won't seem so bad.

Rebecca said...

cute background. I hope you get to see something fun for Independance day. We will miss you.

James and Kirsten said...

Hey Elise! I've been enjoying your blog this summer. I have looked at is several times. I miss the East!!! But...James and I are moving there when he graduates in a couple of months! It makes me laugh to think you are so scared of New York. It's really not that bad promise!!! :o) haha. I'm proud you did so well though. Looks like you guys are having a blast. We miss you guys. We should hang out when you get back!

Heather and Parley said...

sounds crazy! I would be scared if I was driving alone too! Good job though. Sounds like you guys are having a good summer!