Monday, March 29, 2010

sunday thoughts

Yesterday in Relief Society our Bishop taught a lesson and encouraged us to read the talk "The Effects of Television" by Elder Ballard. Today i read it. It is great. The talk was given in 1989. He spoke about the need to choose carefully the things and programs we allow in our homes. I couldn't agree more and i dare say, its worse now than it was 21 years ago. He discuses the phrase to be in the world but not of it and suggests that instead, we think about this poem:

All the water in the world
No matter how it tried
Could never sink the smallest ship
Unless it got inside.
All the evil of the world
And every kind of sin
Could never damn a human soul
Unless we let it in.

The choice is our own. It starts with us. Boyd K Packer said "You may not be able to control things out there with others, but you can control things here, inside of you."

We are creatures here on earth, we have tendencies of "the Natural Man" but it is up to us to give our best effort to overcome the natural man. That is what i believe earth life is all about. Nobody is perfect but if we are constantly striving to overcome our natures we will succeed. We will be happy. Our relationships will be healthy. Elder Ballard says:

We can live in the world, brothers and sisters, without letting the world into us. We have the gospel message that can carry men and women buoyantly through the “mist of darkness” (1 Ne. 8:23) to the source of all light. We can raise children who have been taught to discern and to make personal righteous decisions.
The Lord does not need a society that hides and isolates itself from the world. Rather, he needs stalwart individuals and families who live exemplary lives in the world and demonstrate that joy and fulfillment come not of the world but through the spirit and the doctrine of Jesus Christ.

We live in the world, but we get to choose whether the world will live in us. Thank goodness we have that choice and oh how i hope i can teach my children to want to make good choices.

6 comments:

Bluebird & Company said...

That's the same quote that Heber memorized and used in his latest fireside to the youth. cool.

Romney Family said...

what an uplifting and great post. Thanks for the reminder. I think we all need to be reminded of that and I sure hope and can raise my kids to always want to make the right choices!!!

Steph said...

Thanks for sharing that. I think I am going to post the poem on my blog if you don't mind. What a great reminder...

Rebecca said...

I love your thoughts. You are learning great things that really impact who we are. I especially loved "but we get to choose whether the world will live in us." That is where our power is and I need to remember to protect myself, my family, and my home for those influence that just don't bless us. I love you.

Anna said...

...reminds me of bishop bingham's quote 'if we look so much like the world, how will they know where to find us?'

Marilyn said...

Great thoughts. You must have a talent like your mom. Thanks for sharing.