This morning while i was running, i decided that i'm through, sure i'll still wear it to work (they didn't hire a bald girl), to church, to stuff like that but i'm sick of it being some big secret because really, its who i am, i sure don't like having this disease but honestly, there's nothing i've been able to do about it in the past and i doubt there's much i'll be able to do about it in the future. For those of you that had no idea that i wear a wig and are wondering what in the world alopecia is, keep reading...
When i was 11 years old, my hair started falling out, it began with just a really high hairline in the back but then continued falling out in different spots all over my head, it would usually fall out, and then grow back. All through middle school and high school i did my best to cover the bald spots with the hair that i did have but by the time i was a senior there just wasn't enough and i had to get a wig. When this was all happening i had started dating John. He always knew that something was wrong with my hair but never pushed it, and i didn't tell him for a while. At the beginning of our senior year, i finally told him and the cool thing was is he didn't care. When we decided that it was time that i needed to start wearing a wig, John was the one that shaved the hair that i did still have so that the wig would fit better. He was there for me through everything and he loved me anyways. I've actually been so blessed with great friends and family who were always supportive and loving of this thing that i was always so embarrassed and angry about. Doctor's always told me it was stress related but who doesn't stress out when their hair keeps falling out? I've always wanted to know why this had to be my trial, why did i have to go though this? I mean, most people go through trials and then their done, but my trial is never ending, it doesn't get over, it ju
I'm not going to be afraid anymore to go running without my hair, i'm not going to be afraid to enjoy myself no matter what i'm doing and i'm going to start to live my life to the fullest. Its time to let it go and i hope i can do it. So here i am, no secrets, no nothing, just me.
21 comments:
OOOOH!!! Elise. I love you! I am so proud of you for making this step. It's so huge, but I knew you had it in you to do it. And can I say...you look mighty fine with your cute bald head.
I am so proud of you. You have always been such an amazing example of stregth to me. And you are always beautiful. I am so grateful to have such a strong woman for my daughter. I love you so much.
Mom
Hey Elise,
You R my Hero!!!
thank you so much for this post. It gives me courage to live with myself the way I am!!
thanks again!!!
Love
Anna
You are such an amazing person. I had no idea. I admire you so much you have no idea. thank you fo sharing. I read a quote this weekend that I loved. I am sure you have heard it but it is a classic. "There is no testimony without a test"
That is so funny you know mark and Echo too? I lived in Hawaii and played softball with her. How do you guys know them we love those guys. Well your awesome thanks again for sharing.
Randi
Elise, You are my hero. I've always been so proud and impressed by the way you have handled this trial of your life. And you are beautiful just the way you are. John you are amazing support for her. Keep up the great example. You both are incredible. Love ya, Bridget.
PS. Thank you for sharing with us. We are cheering you on.
No secrets, no nothing, just you...and so so beautiful!!
wow! you are BEAUTIFUL elise! i have always thought you were and have ALWAYS been amazed at your courage and confidence. you are my hero, elise! you've definitely had some hard trials, and through everything, you always come out on top, and it never goes unnoticed by me and many others i'm sure. you are also so blessed to have john - he's a great man. love you and can't wait to see you at lake powell!!!
You are so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing this, I had no idea. It makes the trials in my life seem so small. What a wonderful husband you have for standing by your side, there aren't many men out there that would do that. Thank you for helping me be greatful for my challenges, you are amazing and you are my hero. Love Ya!!!
You are so amazing.. I am so proud of you!!! All that matters is that you are yourself and that you are happy!! We love you and cant wait for you guys to be up here. The houses are looking good we went and walked through them tonight and they are almost done!!!
Wow Elise. You know, I almost always forget, you've never made a big deal about all this, but wow. I was surprised to see this post, but also way impressed. I hope someday to be as confident and beautiful, no matter what! I love you! And I'm excited too for Lake Powell and then you guys moving up here!
I've only had the greatest admiration and affection for you, and seeing how you handle this unusual trial only adds to that. You are beautiful with and without hair - and now you can do either - any time you want. Way to Be!
Thanks for the post Elise. I think I've forgotten all too often that other people have trials too and I get wrapped up in "me". I love you and also admire you. I always thought you were the most confident person about all this. I never thought about how hard it might be. Thanks for having such confidence, you are such a great example to me.
Elise you are the best!!! What a great example you are to everyone:) I admire how strong and positive you are! I really needed to read your post today- it put trials in perspective; out of all days to read this...Today my mom had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor and she starts chemo in 4 weeks to treat breast cancer! Thanks for the post it really helped me realize trails just can make us better people:)
Hi Elise! I just read your post and was so impressed. I love you so much!!! You are an incredible person.
Always remember that the Henke's love you!!!
Dude. you rock. Party on. John looks better in the wig anyway ;)
I LOVE YOU!!!!
I was kidding about the wig by the way. . . Don't let him wear it to much :D
Well even though you never write back... :) I have a lot to say. This was such an amazing post. I can't imagine what it would feel like to not only go through what you have.. but to come to a peace of mind about it or whatever you want to call it. I think that you are amazing. I love how much you love John because you can tell that he loves you that much too. You two are so perfect for one another. I love reading how happy you are and grateful you are for everything. You are an inspiration to people. NOt just because you have struggled with a hard core trial but because you are naming things that you are grateful for in EVERY post! I'm so glad you are in the family and I think that you have the cutest most perfect shaped head!
hey Elise!
I haven't seen ya or talked to ya in a long time... 3 years or something. Elise your amazing, and a good friend . hope you are having a great summer.
Way to go... I think you look great, and you are helping a lot of people to be greatful for what they have. Im sure you feel so free. And what a great feeling to go running with no hair:) You are simply amazing, and a great example to all of us. Thanks for sharing....
You are awesome Elise! and....beautiful bald too! Sinead Oconnor did it....and you are 10x prettier than she was! I think it is great....no secrets...just BEAUTIFUL BALD YOU!
Post a Comment